Thursday, July 17, 2008

To Believe or not to Believe

I remember i had a lesson once about God and religiousness and related stuff. After the class our teacher asked our class of 50 students, how many of us believed in God (in any form) ... I don't remeber the exact numbers... but about 40 45 students stood up and said they did believe and about 5 or 10 said they didn't... I was the only one who said i'm not decided... somehow the teacher thought this was pretty funny and so did a few others... (I've still not forgiven her for that and many other things... but that's a story for another day and another time)
It's been some time since then and nothing's really happened that's changed my opinion...I mean i still go to temples with my parents, still make a show of asking someone up there for help whenever i go for exams , start driving or do whatever the hell i'm doing for which a bit of extra help might come in handy. But I've never truly believed that there's anyone up there and even if he is...i don't see why he should want to help me... i mean...there are a lot more deserving ppl... And personally, I still don't know which God to worship... there are supposed to be so many of them... There are lot's of other problems too to becominga believer... it seems you might have to give up on a lot of logic which just doesn't seem possible for me to do... so there you go i don't believe in Him
But all this doesn't actually mean i'm an atheist either, at least i don't think i am... The total lack of belief in something supernatural seems a very depressing thought.... it's always nice to beleive that if you've given you're best you'll get what you want... but anyone who's done anything knows that that's not how the world works... there's always that element of luck... and if staring at an idol and chanting a few names brings me that luck... then so be it...

Sometimes i wish i was a believer .... then again whenever i try, there's always that little guy on my shoulder saying..."come on... you don't seriously expect praying to help, do you??? " ... maybe there's a life changing experience that's going to come to me sometime that'll make me start beleiving... but until then... i'm just a sad lonely boy wondering hw the hell did everyone else decide wether to beleive or not to beleive....

To believe in God is impossible - to not believe in Him is absurd” : Voltaire

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Quantum Catenation said...

How come the guy up there is always a "he"? Nobody ever uses "she", "it" or some other form especially invented for the "perfect entity"!

Does the little guy on your shoulder have horns or a halo? ;)
Actually both and neither are equally valid options...hmm... but then again both those options would lead to further questions! ;)

Sad and lonely boy != whee-tee :) (pun intended)
:P

I always did like Voltaire... sensible guy...

4:14 AM

 
Blogger Quantum Catenation said...

In case you haven't figured out who the weird person posting the comments is, you should ask :)

4:29 AM

 
Blogger Vaisagh said...

It doesn't take a whizkid to figure click on the link and find out who it is.
Anyway.. not sure if your questiosn where really rhetorical or not but I shall humour you nonetheless.

You see, the point with using the he is actually only because I'm used to writing he for God when i'm speaking in English. Calling the perfect entity 'it' would just be wierd... reminds me of that hand in The adam's family.... I could use 'she' i guess... actually when i'm praying in mallu i do refer to the supreme being usually as Mother Goddess (literal translation).... but using He/she everywhere just seems foolish. Actually to even give the supreme entity a gender is to assume it/he/she is an object while that is in itself an assumption. It/He/she could just be a force or Energy for all I know...

Is the little guy with horns or a halo... frankly, he was standing too close to my neck... couldn't see him... He sounded like a really cool dude though ...

As for the sad and lonely part.I really have no clue when i wrote this or how you found this blog for that matter is it on some profile of mine?? ... anyway... the sad and lonely was meant in the particular context of having a God with you who you believe in.

4:58 AM

 
Blogger Quantum Catenation said...

Haha, i guess it doesn't take a wise monkey or a whizkid after all! (i assume it was the gmail id that gave me away...)

Yeah, it was rhetorical...reminded me of a discussion we'd had in philosophy class in JC on the "male-dominated" nature of society...we used linguistics as a proof of "male-dominated"ness- how all the important/powerful concepts are male :)
The literal translation bit is cool though, i really had no idea! Although those who worship the BVM do pray to a female version of "God" i suppose...but she's more the bridge to "God" than "God" itself...

Funny, i also thought the energy version made sense... in the initial reflection phase when i was figuring out my stance on the subject i had coined "The-Powers-That-Be" to "pray" to before exams and stuff...

How i found the blog... it isn't there on your profile, no... long and convoluted answer to that one, (and probably weird. actually very weird to you... but i am all that weird, so...) but i guess there's time enough...
Your about me on fb says "Randomness Personified"... that told me it would be the tagline of your blog if you had one. so i impulsively went to blogspot and found it first shot... (had been up all night for a CA and had just given said CA...that probably gets some of the blame for the extra whacko-ness)
the long part would probably be how i drew the link between the fb about me and a blog title i guess. You could say i read people on some weird level, some people more than others...
Besides, randomness personified was my first title (seriously); then my blog was catalysedcatenation. That's before philosophy became more "me" to me than randomness in its varied facets :)
So there's also the 'deja vu' factor somewhere in there.

:)

5:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home